Sunday, March 1, 2009

catching up

Kimi, thanks so much for getting some of our old emails uploaded. I'm going to upload just a few other thoughts that I didn't see on here (hope I'm not duplicating) before moving forward with some more thoughts...

We talked about tipping in restaurants:

"Tipping" - as in, at a restaurant. For example, here's an inane quote in relation to tipping less: "If the rich reduce spending it will ripple through the economy and the people that supported Obama will be out of jobs." Quoted here: http://drhelen.blogspot.com/2008/10/should-you-tip-less-in-obama.html

also: should you tip less in a recession?

(response):
Interesting idea about "tipping." I like the idea of a waitress being the main character. Have you heard of a book called "Waiting." I haven't actually read it yet, but a friend of mine who is a waitress likes it ... about people in service industry who are "waiting" to do something else with their lives.

A couple other thoughts we put out there:

I've also had a difficult year, and have been thinking a lot about what "tips" us toward healing, or in coming together as a community - which can sometimes be the difficult times in life. But at the same time, we are alienated in difficult times - and can feel "tipped" towards desperation, depression, giving up... something around this theme of loss/grief/difficulty and how we deal with it (and can tip one way or the other) is mulling around in my head.

(and)...

I have been thinking about art and activism (the theme this year) and what I have been most interested in is in process. So the way that you put something together is inherently political…you don't have to do identity politics and write a show about an "issue" to be engaging political questions. I think this is something that the Goats talk about and it is also something I have been interested in through a lot of the philosophy I have been reading over the last year or so. By embracing a process that is one of acceptance, and respect, and becoming or not dictating what WILL come of the art you are making, but rather allowing the connections to happen, you are engaging in something political. I'm not sure how this would work. But in terms of tipping points there seems to be something here that I can't quite articulate. Something like if you trust this process you will encounter many tipping points to embrace that will allow you to go in new directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment