Monday, March 9, 2009

Distance learning

I think that guilt plays a huge role in learning lessons of how we should interact with other people. Guilt occurs when we feel as though we have violated our moral code, such as when we give electric shocks to a person to the point that they have a heart attack. The question is … when does our guilt grow so large as to motivate us to act?
I really love how you’ve tied together this question of distance to the reality of the distance between all of us participating in this project. It really relates to the way global communication is increasing. Think global, act local? My guess is that guilt grows with the physical closeness of the learner. I think Milgram or someone else did an experiment like this at one time. People were a lot less likely to deliver the shocks if the learner was in the room with them. I think that making the researcher farther away would create the same effect. I could see people trying to trick the researcher … pretending to have pushed the button when really they hadn’t. So … physical closeness can not only mess with our own moral code, but it can also trump authority.
I think it’s a great idea to use my distance from the two of you as part of the project. I don’t know logistically about performing … we never asked for a room with wifi or a good sound system. I don’t know if a speakerphone on a cellphone is a good option … probably not loud enough? I also have to say I’m not a great performer, but I’m willing to try. It doesn’t seem quite right if I pre-recorded my dialogue.
I think we need an assignment!

No comments:

Post a Comment