Thursday, February 26, 2009

I did know about the book... I enjoyed reading it, so if you have time I'd recommend it - but I don't think we would need to reference it, necessarily.

Today I did a little scribbling at a coffee shop with some ideas. I wish I could just scan in my notes - not that they'd make sense, necessarily, but they aren't very linear, so it's hard to put them into a linear email message. I will attempt to do so anyway. Sorry it's sort of a mess, but maybe this can get some thoughts going:

** gradual increase to ridiculous/terrible extremes (movement and structure concept?)
(frog in boiling water concept... doesn't jump out if it goes up by increments)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_frog

- discipline = pain? pain = discipline?

- is the pain worse for the receiver or the giver of pain - particularly when the implementer isn't doing it completely voluntarily?
--> receiver of "pain"... we see kicking back, reading a newspaper, eating a sandwich, every once in awhile making the sounds of pain (obviously a performance, but sounds real)
--> giver of pain ... see this person in actual physical pain (anguish from having to inflict pain) but trying to behave calmly
--> receiver of shocks perhaps only feels actual pain when they realize that someone is capable of harming them this way
--> both giver and receiver - anger at researchers? anger at each other for their parts in the process? showdown in the debrief room?
(see previous article on debriefing - most recent replication of the experiment)

- kimi's statement "there was no tipping point" ... ?? (i find this intriguing, but not sure how to use it)

- sounds: buzzing, kachunk of "on"/shock, cries to stop, silence

- lights: flashing? one broken bulb? lamp going on and off? shadows? candles (no electricity)?

- slowly drowning a doll in sand (or water) (or something else)

- structure idea: 15 minutes broken down into 15 volts per minute - reaching 150 at the very end...

OR:

minute 1 = 10v
min 2 = 20v
... (stay relatively regular until...)
min 7 = 80v
min 8.5 = 100v
min 10 = 125v
min 12 = 150v
rapidly speed up to 650v by 15 minutes

(increasing multiples... graph...)

** represent the above visually, physically, aurally

- can we pull movement from graphs of voltage somehow? or from the equipment that was used?

- what was i supposed to do? say no? surely researchers (my boss, my mother, my friend, my teacher, my father, the president, the school system, the bank) wouldn't tell me to do something that would hurt someone else. they are responsible. they've got my back. i can trust them to set the parameters, and as long as i stay within them, everything will be fine. they have done their research. (they = food packing industry, our politicians, the people organizing this event, the guards, the lawyers, my therapist, my pastor...)

- "interviews" with the participants?

QUESTIONS:
- how to avoid the didactic/obvious? ... what is/are the question(s) we're asking?
- what is our environment?
- format: lecture, dialogue, scene, parallel monologues, movement/gesture?
- brianne and i could develop parts of this on our own and then put them together/overlap/interrupt... and/or we could all give each other assignments/directives...
- or we could each be responsible for certain minutes of the time (for example: kimi responsible for minutes 1-3, 5-6 and 11-13; michelle responsible for minutes 3-4, 8-11 and 14-15; brianne responsible for minutes 4-5, 6-8, and 13-14)... (or decide randomly)

thoughts? ideas? responses? nay-saying?

No comments:

Post a Comment